Jul 7, 2009

I LOVE COOKING, but I suck at it

I have always thought of cooking as a no brainer... all you do is follow the directions, right? Apparently not right. I am almost 24 years old and this whole time was under this illusion that I can cook. I discovered the website simplifysuper.com and have been trying new dishes like crazy (well 3 times a week to me is a lot of cooking). Now, I can eat basically anything and be satisfied, I'm not picky. If the noodles aren't cooked all the way, who cares. And if the pizza is doughy in the middle, so what. It's food and I'll eat it. I will draw the line on meat. My chicken MUST be thoroughly cooked, even if that means cooking it so long it drys out, which happens most of the time. Mike works at night, so most of my meals consist of lean cuisine or cereal.

Yesterday, it was made blatantly clear how bad of a cook I actually am when I tried to heat up some leftovers from Sunday's dinner. I enjoyed the great meal, and went to wash off my plate in the sink. I could see Mike at the table, still there with his 1/2 eaten plate of food, staring at the chicken on his fork like it was a piece of dog food. How rude, right? The night before he told me how wonderful dinner was, but now I know it was just to spare my feelings. We had a very informative yet humorous conversation about my cooking. There were only 2 dishes he could name that he actually enjoys, Enchiladas and Paninis. All of a sudden it clicked... now I know why he eats so fast when we go out to eat, and so SLOW when he's eating my food. And why I'm always having to throw away tuber wares full of leftover dinners. I think I am going to have to retire my life long dream of becoming a chef.


8 comments:

Emily Call said...

Oh Chelsey... how sad! Do you want me to prepare some meals that you can freeze? ;)

The Camps said...

ha ha! join the club! its the effort that counts right... at least thats what I tell myself!

Dasha said...

Hmm... I think part of the problem might be that website you are getting your recipes from. I took a look at it and they all seem kind of lousy. I would recommend going to allrecipes.com or recipezaar.com. Their recipes are rated by readers and there are comments that include modifications to the recipes, etc.

And as for the chicken thing, you should get a meat thermometer. That way you will know the meat is cooked to a safe temperature without overcooking it. Hope this helps!

Dasha said...

Oh and don't give up! Seriously, anyone that can read can cook. I think it's all about putting in the effort and paying attention to detail.

Chelsey said...

Actually, emily you can just have us over for dinner every night instead, If you freeze it i'll probably burn it when i have to put it in the oven.

And Dasha, Thanks. I looked at those web sites and i'll have to try some. If it's not successful the first couple times i'm seriously going to look into a cooking class

John and Maren Williams said...

oh dear... you can always call my mom with questions, that's usually what i do... or, if that is awkward, you can call me and hopefully I have already asked that question and know the answer!

Whitney said...

Hang in there, Mike! At least she's cute!! :) Love ya, Chels

The Oldroyd's said...

Our stake is one of the stakes who are helping at the new temple and so we can do parking, or be in the temple or clean. I can't leave Cameron for too long except at night. So I cleaned. IT was awesome.