Feb 27, 2009

I Have Survived!


Up until 3 years ago, I had loved going to the dentist. I loved that clean teeth feeling, and I thought I had the perfect teeth, at least that's always what they say to you. When I was little they had 3 big bulletin boards with every kids picture on it, and if you had a "cavity free" visit than you got to put a round sticker on your picture. I had been cavity free up until 20 years old. When I went 3 years ago they found 4 cavities. That's right, I said FOUR. And it was the worst experience of my life. I was 20 years old and crying- no, I'm sorry, I was sobbing- in that dentist chair. I was squeezing that nurse's hand so hard the whole time. I asked for the numbing shot I think 4 extra times...And for a week after, my mouth was still numb.

I have refused to go back since, but since our dental insurance ends in February, I was willing to try it one more time- For the sake of money. And this time a different dentist. 3 cavities this time. Pretty good I thought... I'll admit that when I was pregnant I had a pretty hard time brushing my teeth in the beginning. Every time I stuck that toothbrush in my mouth I'd gag and sometimes throw up.

I confessed my "problem" with the dentist and he told me I can have the Nitrous oxide...Since he didn't want to make me cry. When I was pretty floaty, he stuck the needle in to get me numb, and I could feel the tears coming on. The nurse stuck out her hand to let me hold on for dear life. When he started I was flexing in pain, even though i was fine. The dentist stopped and asked if I could feel it. I said, "No, I'll just scream if it hurts", he immediately said, "Just raise your hand if it hurts...If you scream, you'll scare the other patients."ha ha

The whole time I heard that Laser sound I just kept telling myself "Think of Star Wars. Think of Star Wars". Just so I could think of the sounds coming from a movie, not my mouth. And when I felt the thing in my mouth drilling, I just kept telling myself it's just a stick with sponge on it cleaning my teeth.

Well, I'm proud to say I survived, and with no tears this time.

3 comments:

John and Maren Williams said...

HAHAHAHAHHAA what the? STAR WARS?! haahh that is great, and i bet it was just a sponge on a stick cleaning your teeth.

The Camps said...

you big baby!!! I agree with Maren on who the heck thinks of star wars at the dentist, and how is that supposed to make you feel better! i love you Chels!

Whitney said...

Oh gosh I still remember when your mouth was numb from the last time! That is a great story. I am glad you survived without tears or screaming. You make it sound worse than child birth!